Friday, July 13, 2012

SPICY FERMENTED SAUERKRAUT-HOMEMADE

 RAW SPICY FERMENTED SAUERKRAUT  NOT ONLY TASTY, BUT A PROBIOTIC FOOD
Food is medicine.
Here is a wonderful easy scum-less sauerkraut I made. Don't let the word scum scare you unless it is green or black.  Ewww.  But if anyone has made real homemade sauerkraut before they know there would most likely be scum on the surface, which usually gets skimmed off and discarded.  I was totally surprised when I opened this container only to see the plate looking back at me. 

I had some sauerkraut left over from a previous batch, so I wasn't in a hurry to open this container containing 6 heads of shredded cabbage. Every day I eat some sort of probiotic food which has allowed me to be diabetic free, and free of all medications. And this one happens to be delicious. My family and I love it.  However, I don't believe in doing smaller batches, because it takes so long to ferment, but its well worth the wait.  Yummy probiotics!   A tablespoon here, a tablespoon there, and that's all it takes to get your probiotic food. intake.  Why waste money on pills, when food is medicine?  Why? Anyway.
Besides the cabbage I added...

  • cabbage 6 heads  Shredded or chopped small. (save the outer leaves for the top just in case...)
  • Salt 1/2 cup
  • Water to cover the salt and cabbage.
  • Kombucha 16 oz
  • Cayenne pepper 1-3 tablespoons (optional but healthier)
Instructions:
  • Add salt and water and shredded cabbage and knead with your hands for a few minutes
  • Allow cabbage to soak in salted water for 4 hours.
  • Rinse well, and drain
  • Add kombucha, and water covering cabbage 
  • Put cabbage in container and punch down to pack tightly
  • add the outer leaves of cabbage on top of shredded cabbage
  • add a non plastic/non metal plate.  
  • I also held that plate down with a jar emmersing the plate and kraut under the liquid. 
  • I put a lid on that whole container, and put it in a corner for almost 2 months.
Here is a 3 gallon # 2 plastic container I used to put
my cabbage in.  I opened it after almost 2 months of
being undisturbed in a corner.  Can you see the jar, holding the
 plate down?  The plate held the cabbage down.  
It was the total emmersion that made this sauerkraut completely scum-less.  The whole thing was edible.  As you can see for yourself in the picture below, no scum.
These are the outer cabbage leaves I expected to
discard because I assumed
it would have scum on the top layer.
 Yay a scum less sauerkraut!  This was
definetely all good.
I am so glad I made extra, because I love to share, and it's so mouth watering and tangy.  I know it won't last long. It tastes too good to be good for you.  Yes, eating healthy can be expensive but if you make it at home it is so much cheaper right?

It takes so long to ferment this cabbage, it is so much better to
 make an amount you would be able to consume till your next batch is ready.
 I came out with about 5 quarts of  tangy delicious homemade
SPICY SAUERKRAUT.  Yum!
Well, I hope this helps in some way.  Feel free to leave any comments.
Thanking you in advance.
Many blessings,
Mary Helen




No comments:

Post a Comment