Wednesday, July 18, 2012

FERMENTED LEMONS WITH RINDS


FERMENTED LEMONS WITH THEIR RIND
AFTER 7 MONTHS THEY STILL
LOOK BEAUTIFUL
Seven months ago back in January my friend gave me about 25 pounds of ripe organic lemons.  I juiced and froze some.  I made lemon marmalade to preserve another portion of the lemons.  However, I wanted to find a way to preserve some besides canning it and killing anything that was alive in the heating process.  I found I could ferment it in a salted lemon juice brine.  Well after seven months let me share with you the results.   They are just as beautiful in color.  They came out in its own thick "syrup" full of natural pectin. They are now so delicate, and fall apart easy.  They looked so juicy I just had to try it.  Wow, it just melted in my mouth, rind and all.  I am very impressed.  I believe in food storage too besides eating healthy and this is how I did it...

Yes thats a thick salty lemon syrup full of natural
 pectin as well as probiotics and vitamins.
INGREDIENTS:

  • Lemons 8-10 large (preferably organic) washed and sliced thin
  • Jar sterile and large enough to fit the lemons leaving 2 inch headspace
  • Juice of 3 large lemons
  • 1/3 cup mineral salt (sea salt kosher salt, or pickling salt is fine just no iodized salt.)
  • warm water enough to cover lemons at least 1 inch over the top
I mixed 1/4 cup warm water with the lemon juice and till the salt disolved in a separate bowel.  In a sterile jar I began packing  the sliced lemons in the sterile jar tightly.  I used a food pusher getting most of the air out every few layers. In doing this I added a little of the lemon juice brine solution each time. I did this till it was packed leaving a two inch headspace.  I then filled it with the lemon/water/salt solution leaving a one inch headspace.  I left it in a dark corner for a month.



I was not in a hurry to try it after a month because I don't like the rind or the white pith and I thought it would have that "pithy bitter taste".  So in February I put it in the back of the refrigerater for the past 6 months.   So after 7 months it's so ready.  I had to try it.   I am again a happy camper as I now have another probiotic ferment to share with you and my friends.

One note please.  This is a very lemony salty fermented tangy product. Similar to a salted plum. I would not suggested you eat it as is.  You might want to consider making a sauce and adding a couple of slices to a cooked product.  Or maybe a lemon vinaigrette.  Chopped fine and sprinkle it in a salad is another option right?  If you have any ideas let me know.  How about dried? Or any comments, please feel free to leave one.

Thanking you in advance and many blessings,
CAN YOU SEE THE TENDERNESS
Mary Helen
SO DELICATE, THEY JUST FALL APART

JUICY MOUTH WATERING FERMENTED LEMONS

1 comment: