Friday, July 6, 2012

ROSEMARY GT KOMBUCHA

Rosemary Kombucha
I love the smell of fresh cut rosemary.  It is such a aromatic herb that makes green tea kombucha so tasty.  Not to mention it has so many nutritional benefits like phyto-nutrients.  Cellular nutrition equals cellular rejuvenation in my books.  So i'm all for adding a little rosemary to my kombucha.  It's also called an anti aging herb, and I believe it because I have seen the results with my own eyes on other folks who's skin alone testify to the health benefits of rosemary, by drinking it as a tea daily.  I have also been using it in my body butters as well for the past year, and I love it. So do my friends. Rosemary has natural salicylic acid, similar to other leading anti blemish lotions, but without all the chemicals.  But that's another blog I posted elsewhere.

Anyway, for the Rosemary Kombucha,  I added...
I disturbed my baby SCOBY, now there's another one
growing circumferencing the diameter of the container.
  • water  one gallon
  • green tea 4 tea bags
  • rosemary dried 2- 6 teaspoons or 1 fresh sprig
  • sugar 1/2-1 cup
  • SCOBY (I used a small one)
I alway put the herbs in the water while it is still cold.  I heat it slowly till it is almost boiling then I turn the stove off at let it sit with the herbs in till it is barely warm.  I strain it and add that to my continous brew.  If this is your first batch you will add your SCOBY, and your 2 cups of kombucha from your previous brew, or a store bought bottle.  If you have no starter you can always use regular vinegar, but you need a SCOBY.  Yes it will culture.  I've done it a few times in my experiments.  Also, if you don't have a SCOBY you need a starter like a bottle of store bought kombucha if you don't have access to freshly brewed kombucha.  It does has enough live culture in it to recreate another baby SCOBY if left undisturbed for a few weeks.

I lifted the baby SCOBY'S and there is
 the mother SCOBY floating underneath.
Yummy rosemary kombucha beneath
 my SCOBY'S)
Note that rosemary has a lot of oil in the herb naturally, so it will take longer for the SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) and the tea to culture.  Don't worry, just be patient, it will culture.  Mine took at least 7 days before I saw the baby scoby starting to grow on the surface like a thin film.  It took me 2 weeks of brewing before it started to have that kombucha slight vinegary taste.  Yum.  So after 2 weeks my Rosemary gt Kombucha is ready, and i'm a happy camper.





No comments:

Post a Comment